fact, opinion and poetry (not airy-fairy)


Friday 28 December 2012

Birdsong at Midwinter



What is Christmas without snow?
I miss Jack Frostes icy show.
Cold come, kill off norovirus
Before it sickens all of us.

On Christmas night I heard birdsong:
I think the climate has gone wrong.
Who needs a Mayan 'pocalypse
When weather's turned as weird as this?

The rich folk in denial are,
Can't stand to be without the car.
Oil barons pay for scientist's lies;
The wealthy speak and truth soon dies.

In childhood I played in the snow,
But now it seems so long ago.
The world seemed much more innocent then,
As it just does when you are ten.

Norovirus is the name of the bug which causes epidemic winter vomiting, which was in full flow at the time of writing. Things have changed a bit since I wrote this. It is as if the Almighty is slowly working his way through a backlog of requests for Christmas snow, without noticing the expiry dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment