fact, opinion and poetry (not airy-fairy)


Saturday 21 December 2013

The Ballad of the Leader

"So tell me now", the leader said,
"What lies shall I tell this week?
I think I need some brand new fib
To help me subdue the meek."

His advisers puzzled and scratched their heads,
As the nation's outlook was bleak.
"Perhaps you could say you're on their side?",
Said the first one to dare to speak.

"On their side?" asked the leader,
"You must think them utterly daft.
I'm kicking the shit right out of them,
That's my pleasure and my craft."

"The bigger the lie the better,"
The daring advisor said.
"People are truly credulous,
In fact, they're easily led."

"They'll believe any lie that's repeated,
If you just say it often enough.
The more far-fetched the better,
That's the art of the outrageous bluff."

"I must set them at each other's throats,"
The leader cunningly spoke.
"Whip hatred up to fever-pitch,
Give them a scapegoat they'd like to choke."

"I've said that I care for all of them,
But that tale doesn't work any more.
The people are seeing through my bs,
To the ruthlessness at my core."

"Perhaps," the advisor suggested,
"You could say you love those who work hard."
"That's a fine idea," the leader replied,
"Among liars you are the bard!"

"I'll be on the side of those who strive,
And I'll claim that the poor are lazy.
I can save quite a lot of money,
By blaming the sick and the crazy."
 
Of course, this is about Hitler and Goebbels. Anyone who thought
it was about contemporary leaders should be ashamed :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment