fact, opinion and poetry (not airy-fairy)


Wednesday 21 December 2011

A Guilty Pleasure

 Recently I've taken a job, driven by financial necessity. Together with minor illnesses, this has curbed my writing, until this week's sudden splurge. I had planned to commute to Whitwick by bus, a laborious process, till my new employer offered me a company car!


        How smoothly I swoop across a land
        Haunted by mist.
        Green and brown flow swiftly past,
        An eerie dream of freedom.

        A sonorous drone engulfs me,
        Bearing me forward.
        A more virtuous past,
        Wrapped in global concern,
        Slips away behind.
        Enraptured now by machinery,
        Thrust on me by circumstance;
        Or was it chance?

        How to refuse this delicious temptation,
        When I must get to work?
        Poverty the goad, effortless speed the allure,
        Rubber's soft whispers soothe.
        The road to Whitwick is paved with bad intentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment